BVE5 Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news

2 posters

Go down

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news Empty A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:13 am

The A1A Locomotives Limited are proposing to buid their own locomotive shed, at Swanwick Junction on the Midland Railway - Butterley. A kind and generous offer of substantial funds by two long-standing A1A shareholders has finally made the project appear feasible. The Midland Railway -Trust has provisionally allocated land for use alongside the existing Diesel Shed, subject to further negotiations, agreement and planning permission, etc. This shed is to be built, as it is always disheartening to see long hours of hard work gradually deteriorate as a result of weather, this should also help fight against the metal theives, who seem to still be on the prowl at preserved railways, and who have caused thousands, if not millions of pounds worth of damage to preserved locomotives, units and wagons/carriages, over the past few years. In some cases either stealing or damaging irriplaceable parts, in the quest for copper. The new shed is planned to be a two road shed, with each road capable of holding two locos, or equivalent. Plus space for most of the spares and equipment which currently sit in a collection of containers and external storage. Assuming all goes to plan, the group are expected to meet reps of the MRB board for more detailed discussions, in the near future, after which it is hoped a start can be made on gaining the necessary planning application and obtaining quotations for groundworks and construction.

As already stated the project will require significant funding in addition to that generously offered by two long-standing supporters. The A1A Locos Board would be delighted to recieve any contributions from anyone wishing to help 'garuntee' the future of our fleet. You can also become a shareholder of A1A locomotives Ltd, 1 share = £20, and entitles you to discount at the Midland Railway Butterley and the Nene Valley Railway (subject to the usual), as well as a lifetime subscription to the A1A Locomotives Limited's Newsletter. Please dig deep guys, even if you only want to donate £1 or £2, every little certaintly helps! If contact details are needed for the A1A Locomotives Limited, please PM me, or visit their website: http://www.a1alocomotives.co.uk/

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by pedned on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
pedned
pedned

http://www.jcourse.railfoto.co.uk

Back to top Go down

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news Empty Re: A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:35 am

31108 - Nene Valley Railway

108 recieved her annual B exam in readiness for the 2012 operating season. The Batteries were put on charge and all contactors/relays examined for damage and smooth operation. Two arc chutes were renewed, various contactor tips and all interlocks were cleaned up, brush legnths were checked on all machines and found to be in good order. The commutators on No.2 compressor and the lub oil priming pump were polished up along with the comms on both main and auxillary generators, and all machines were greased.

Following a couple of hours on charge, 108 was started and a running exam carried out together with a full air and brake test from both cabs. A small oil leak was nipped-up and the straight air break in No.2 end adjusted to its correct pressure of 60psi. The loco was then moved onto the pit at Wansford for an underframe exam and grease. All suspension tubes as well as traction motor bearings were checked for security and found to be in good order. Finally the main air safety valve was tested without fault and 108 was ready for service.

Since then she has taken part in around 8 days of running already this year, including the gala on 18th - 20th May 2012 where she worked alongside 31601 and 31602, as well as several other visitors. Don't worry though, there are more days of running to go before the years out. A list of 108s workings can be found here. This will be updated if any more dates are announced.

Last edited by pedned on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
pedned
pedned

Back to top Go down

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news Empty Re: A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 am

31162/5580 - Llangollen Railway

162s annual exam was carried out early on in the year, in readiness for Llangollen's Spring Diesel Gala on 31st March. Everything was checked as for 108 (as outlined above) and found to be in good order. The loco was filled with anti-freeze, as it had been drained for the winter, and no leaks were found. The loco was then moved over the inspection pit at Llangollen, where all bearings etc (as with 108) were found to be in good order, the only problem being a Traction Motor inspection cover which had worked loose, this was promptly cleaned up and re-fitted.

162 is due to leave Wales in late September following its two-year stay, and we must record a big thank you to the lads at Llangollen for making us very welcome. The loco is confirmed to be heading to the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) at Ruddington, for what is believed to be a 12 month stay. The loco is expected to arrive and be put into operation in time for the GCR(N)s Diesel Gala on 6th/7th October.

All workings planned for 162 can be found here
pedned
pedned

Back to top Go down

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:09 am

31271 - Midland Railway Butterley

271 is now ready to be lifted at Swanwick Juntion, for two wheelsets to be changed, after the misfortunate even, in which it was hauled with the Handbrake still engaged. The replacement wheelsets are ready for fitting and the overhauled traction motor is due to be returned shortly. We hope to have the loco available for use by September 2012, although replacement batteries are also required.

Subject to all work being completed and no faults being found, a PROVISIONAL date on Saturday 20th OCtober has been set for 271 to work approximatly six round trips of the line at Butterley, these services will be open for the General Public. Please check the website http://www.a1alocomotives.co.uk/ for further updates/details on this, and any other operating dates.

All workings of all of the locomotives are of course subject to loco availability 'on the day'.

Last edited by pedned on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 am; edited 3 times in total
pedned
pedned

Back to top Go down

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 am

I thought I'd post a few photos of the locos owned by A1A Locomotives Limited too!
Just for the hell of it...

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news _DSC0115_550
31108 is seen shortly after departing Wansford with a continental rake of DSD's, during a Thomas event. 29th August 2010

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news _dsc1780_550
31108 leads 31601 and 31602 over the River Nene, at Wasford, ready to couple up to their train, to form the Wansford - Wansford via Peterborough Nene Valley beer-ex. 19th May 2012.

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news _dsc0732_550
31162 runs round at Carrog, to pilot 37240 and it's train back to Llangollen. 31st March 2012

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news _dsc0752_550
31162 and 37240 arrive at Llangollen station, with a service from Carrog, during the Llangollen Railway's diesel gala on 31st March 2012

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news DSC_0149_550
31271 stands at Swanwick Juntion, on the tail of the cancelled Hammersmith - Riddings service. The service was cancelled due to 31271 having a traction motor flash over. The problem was fixed promptly by the owners and the loco was back in service later in the day. 23rd May 2010

Unfortunatly I don't have any photos of 31418, as the images I did have were lost a few years ago due to a Hard Drive failure. So I've borrowed a couple from A1A Locomotives Limited's website (im sure they won't mind). These images show the high quality restoration which is taking place on the loco. No date has been set for it's return, but it is getting closer.

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news Picture530_001

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news Picture227

A1A Locomotives Limited Update! - Shed Appeal + fleet news Picture529

pedned
pedned

Back to top Go down

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:52 am

I forgot to mention 31418...

Well at the minute theres not a lot to mention, it's still undergoing it's restoration at Swanwick Juntion on the Midland Railway Butterley...
There are pcitures and further information on the A1A locomotives website (which I think I've plugged enough already, for you to not need a link! Laughing ).
pedned
pedned

Back to top Go down

Post  guillyman Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 am

Looks like a worthwhile project! Shame it isn't dedicated to proper traction... Laughing

Seriously, I for one will take a further look at the website, as it certainly seems to represent a good cause. Smile
guillyman
guillyman
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pedned Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am

guillyman wrote:I for one will take a further look at the website, as it certainly seems to represent a good cause. Smile

Glad to hear you'll be taking a look and considering it.
I hope some others do so as well... I personally have a standing order of £5 a month set to go to A1A locomotives, and indeed it does make me a shareholder, due to over £20 having been paid... It is a very worthwhile cause, and I have a copy of the financial record for last year sat ehre too... Not that I understand it, but it seems they made a £2,000 proffit last year, after over heads, and cost for maintainance, they do have substancial funds in the bank though, partly for the shed, and partly for security incase something goes wrong!
pedned
pedned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum