BVE5 Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iPhone app - TrainDriveATS

Go down

iPhone app - TrainDriveATS Empty iPhone app - TrainDriveATS

Post  Taffy Cross Thu May 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi all,

An on/off topic post. I recently had some spare moments so I was searching through iTunes and I came across TrainDriveATS. The English wording is a bit iffy but the videos I hunted down on the web looked promising. The price at AUD9.49 is also steep, but the author says he has toiled for over two (2) years to get this far.

It is written for the iPhone so when you expand it (x2) for the iPad it looses a bit of its edge graphics wise. Most structures are 2D unless they need another side to make them look solid. Very interesting to play and it is based on Japanese practice. You have to score a positive result before other routes open up.

1. 100 Local Minami-Takatoku (04:50) to Asakusa-Motomachi (05:10)
2. 151 Local Asakusa-Motomachi (07:56) to Daishien (08:14)
3. 2000 Rapid Dobustsu-Koen (06:10) to Asakusa-Motomachi (06:49)
4. 818 Local Daishien (06:37) to Musashi-Arai (06:44)
5. 4013 Semi Exp. Asakusa-Motomachi (08:20) to Dobustsu-Koen (09:07)
6. 51 Rapid Exp. Asakusa-Motomachi (08:00) to Yorii-Machi (08:39)

When you get to open up no. 6. you also unlock a "free" mode that allows you to run any of the above at anytime you wish in 30 minute increments from 04:30 to 10:00. iTunes says there are 7 routes but I am yet to progress any further than what I have listed above so far, so time will tell.

All signalling works including shunt signals, also the signals for the other rail traffic. You get overtaken and you overtake other trains, you also pass trains in the opposite direction or at crossing points/stations. All the other rail traffic moves around you and you can see and hear them approaching. Pointwork will be set to a deadend and when you're about to depart the level crossing gates (booms) operate and sirens sound, then the points change and the signal clears. The rail network looks and operates like you'd expect it to, if you run slower you pass a train sooner. Likewise if you run earlier you may see a train on a line that your line crosses over / under. Gradients affect acceleration and your stopping distances and I have been caught out!

4. 818 Local Daishien (06:37) to Musashi-Arai (06:44) for example is really a very short shunting scenario. You go from one station to another, then on shunt signals you shunt out until you clear the trailing set of points then change ends and now you go back through the set of points that are now facing for this direction of travel. Once you arrive back in the station it is over.

Points are deducted for disobeying signals and speed restrcitions and the ATS will cut in to correct your error. Also running late, or in particular coasting into stations (??). You must stop within 2.000m and -2.000m of the allotted point the closer to 0.000 the more points you get. If you give the passengers an uncomfortable stop you loose points. All this is available when you stop by pressing "SCORE". When you sit at crossing location and you may be overtaken then passed my one or two trains in the opposite direction of travel you can press "FF" which is fast forward to advance the time. Again all the infrastructure operates as you would expect and by the signals and point blade movements you know when it is near your time of departure.

Ok I will support any railway offering simulation wise, I still buy Trainz and I haven't opened the last three versions. If you don't support them they will go away and make something that pays better. So I was pleasantly suprised at the quality of this app, I personally hope he upgrades the graphics for the iPad but it does not take away a really enjoyable experience. TrainDriveATS proves that "gameplay" is more important than makeup but I would still like to see an improvements graphics wise. I wholeheartedly recommend this app and will enjoy "playing" it on my iPad on my daily commutes by train.

Bye for now,

Stephen.

Taffy Cross

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum